Monday, November 12, 2012

Rainy Days equal... Joy?

Unless you're partial to living in Seattle or places like it... this post will absolutely resonate with you.


So in Nashville, it rains, a lot.
And with rain at least for me, it's extremely easy to become unmotivated and sad.

Something about cloudy days, cold, and moisture just don't resonate well with me, making me honestly in a blatantly negative mood. I've in the past blamed it on stress, hunger, or even "female problems," but all in all, being negative is never okay.  It all boils down to letting my emotions control me and not controlling them.

The Bible says that we have been given the victory. POWER over EVERY force and the principalities of darkness. It tells us darkness FLEES from light. It tells us that light ALWAYS overpowers darkness.

And yet... we allow mere things of the 5 senses to inhibit us from walking fully joyous, peaceful, and victorious lives!

... What? Why!

We are all imperfect, and taught in society that it's ok to get to a point where you have to rant or cry your eyes out til you feel black and blue to feel better. Society tells us that gorging in a bucket of ice cream or punching someone in the face are the only ways to resolve the issue of inner sadness, but what does God have to say about this?

The Bible tells us that we have the fruits of the spirit in Galatians 5:22-23, (Love, Joy, Peace, discipline, Self-control... etc)

I would like to focus on self-control.

We have been GIVEN the power to control and be the victor over our emotions! The POWER to CONTROL... OURSELVES! This may seem trite and a minute thing to focus on, but how many times do we not take our thoughts captive (Like Romans 12:1-2 says to do) and then before we realize a negative emotional attack happening, we're in a world of emotional hurt and just wanna crawl back into bed and sob?

How do I know this? Because it literally happened to me yesterday, after church.

Saturday night I spent my evening with my best friend, gabbing about our plans to study abroad this upcoming May in Ireland.  We fellowshipped immensely and for hours on end talked about the Lord and His calling on our individual lives.  I went to bed so overjoyed!

Sunday morning, I woke up before my alarm and spent time in the word before I got ready to attend a new church that was recommended to me.  I went to church, filled with more word and BAM! all of a sudden on my drive home Satan launches a HUGE emotional attack on me and it takes everything in my power not to start bawling my eyes out over... what. NOTHING!!!!!

So I began to use the power I knew was inside of me, the power that Jesus promises we have, the power to SPEAK over the situation and CHANGE what we can sense through the 5 physical senses. (Keep in mind the Bible says what we see and feel are carnal and changing, but the things of the spirit are steadfast and unchanging! (2 Corinthians 4:18: While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.) 

So I began to speak, but after a minute or so, gave in.
I arrived back at my apartment and in a fit, secluded myself to my room.
I didn't feel better until I meditated on what the TRUTH was, while talking to my mother she spoke the word over me and told me what the Bible said.

Immediately, as if snapped out of a stupor, I was fully able to again take a situation, whether my workload, home sickness, and everything that was going on in perspective, and not in a fit of emotion that tried to tell me I had a million things to do IN THAT MOMENT and not later.

Hebrews 4 tells us that we are given the peaceable REST of God. He's always there to comfort us and guide us and that if we put him FIRST, (like for me... above school) God will always ALWAYS work everything out.  So as I'm growing, I'm learning these things, and I cannot tell you how much it's made a difference.

I recommitted my time to putting God above school 4 weeks ago after fall break.

In that time span, I've had a huge test pushed back a week
A Paper pushed back 2 days.
A class cancelled
Another class cancelled twice.
God CANNOT fail, and when we ask in His name and BELIEVE He HAS to deliver.
We just don't give Him enough LITERAL "time of day" to learn to lean on and trust in Him! He has already said He has provided all of our needs unto His riches in glory!
Whether that means pushing back a test, helping pay for your car payment, or blessing someone else so He can bless you, it's all about putting God first so He can have the ability and allowance to operate fully in our lives!!!

So be happy!
God has provided SO much for us, and the devil blow by blow uses STUPID tactics (that are always the same) to trick our minds into thinking the 5 physical sense things we see, feel, touch, hear, or smell are forever set in stone.  God can change anything. God can do anything. He IS our peace, IS our happiness, and through the fruit of self-control, we can control our emotions.

Megan <3

No comments:

Post a Comment