Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 22, 2012

Well today's date has a bunch of 2's in it, that's kinda cool. :D 2/22/12.

-So I woke up today, feeling tired. Had an Aural Skills 3 hearing at 8:30am, and wasn't too thrilled considering I... didn't study at all.
-I prayed that God would work through me and bring back all the stuff we'd practiced in class, looked at my notes a bit, asked my professor a couple questions, and knocked it out. I think I deserve an A, but we'll see! :)

-9am: Usually I have a class called "The Music of Literature". Honestly... we've done little but analyze poetry, but that's fine with me because it's super easy and I love poetry! (*Cough*, it's like song lyrics...)
-anyway, so I went to "class" and... all the lights were off with no one inside. *Doh!* forgot there wasn't class today. But instead of moping about anything, I turned a smile on, rejoicing that I had just gained an hour of "do whatever I wanted time!"

-9:15am: I proceeded to the Beaman (Athletic Center where a lot of people workout, study, get food, etc.) after grabbing and cramming into my backpack what seemed like my entire dorm.
-Bulging backpack on back, with the added bonus of my classic "Megan breakfast shake", Bible, other Bible, and devotional, I slightly resembled a small camel.

-Ok I'm exaggerating, but truthfully a 3rd arm would have been useful.

-9:30am I park it in the Beaman.  Now, one must understand, the Beaman is kind of the half way point where people go when you WANT to get stuff done, but aren't committed enough to going to the Library where you can't talk and REALLY have to buckle down.  This is exactly the mood I was in. :D
Ding, yae.
-So I spread out my smörgasbord of stuff out onto my table and begin to ponder what I'm actually planning on getting done, and who I'm probably going to see strollin' through as I naturally people watch whoever goes by. (Hey, I'm tall, it's what we do)

-I decide, after checking and responding to all necessary emails, that I'm going to take this precious extra time to devote to the best thing I could, JESUS. And lemme tell youuuu. That was a great decision!

-It's so funny when I sit down to have real Jesus time, I love to go all out.  So I'm sitting there, reading my devotional which I had already read once earlier, writing notes like a madwoman because like every line is speaking to me (we all have those days, everything is profound... haha, the greatest!) WHILE listening to a sermon my pastor gave a few weeks back.
-So A) My spirit is like WOW slurp slurp slurp while B) I'm trying to write down what's resonating in my heart from 1) My devotional and 2) the sermon.  I end up having to turn the sermon off til I get through the devotional haha. Then continue to write my notes from the sermon.
-If there ever was a hashtag for christiangirlproblemsthataren'treallyproblems... it'd be that. bahaha.

So THAT all happened before 10am.

Then... at 10am, I started highlighting away at my old testament homework, after... ok I lied like 10:20am... I was distracted by facebook for a bit, but in my defense I was coordinating accompanists for my voice seminar next week, which I'm pumped about. (Be prepared for a video coming next week!) (Here is the link to the song I'm doin)
-It's hard not to get frustrated with Belmont's religion curriculum, and I honestly could never major in it here.  Not to bash it, but I just can't stand how each book, and version of the Bible they make us read comes from and is taught from what they call a "purely academic standpoint", with no "religion" in it.

Now... let's think about that statement.

You're teaching the Bible... with no "religious" anything in it? That's... IMPOSSIBLE. And so... backwards! Haha. What's the point of teaching it then?!
-I totally understand not everyone's a Christian and of course I accept that but... if I weren't a Christian and I was going to THIS CHRISTIAN SCHOOL taking one of their Bible classes, it wouldn't make me want to be a Christian at ALL with how they teach it!
-I think they should definitely be able to have a Christian "spin" if you will on the subject matter taught.  -It does NOT mean shoving it down ANYONES throats, but there's a balance between teaching it still as fact, and forcing it on someone!!
-It's so sad! I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Ok. Done with that rant.
Then I had class at 11, lunch at 12, class at 1, 2, and from 3-5. Then I had dinner with a bunch of the best friends who always make my day, went back to my dorm and have no idea what happened but I killed 30 min.

Then 6:30 came and it was time for INTRAMURAL BASKETBALL! Woooo!
Representing my sorority, AST, we prepared for the "Game of the Week" verse our "rivals" (kinda... we still love them) Phi Mu.
-We ended up winning 46-5, I scored prob... 20-25 points? Idk it doesn't matter, what matters is we played AMAZINGLY as a team, as sisters, and really bonded together for NEVER having practiced... EVER. haha.
-I think EVERYONE on the team scored too, and often which is amazing! Lexie and Lara KILLED it on the rebounds and layups, Taylor thank GOD served as our ball handler which we so LACKED last time we played (it was awful with just us big folk, haha). Monica played AMAZING Defense as did Jaime, and Jaime got some great shots up too.  And of COURSE, Emily (Mom) played great D too, hustled her butt off, and her new shoes (which are FANTASTIC and blue) brought us good luck.
-It was really great for the seniors to experience such victory for their last ever Greek to Greek intramural game! I seriously was so proud to lead a team of girls like this even if it was just intramurals.
-God is good! And now we have braggin rights for the next year, hehe. :D


In closing... haha wow I feel like I just typed a sermon/long speech... thanks for reading if you made it to here, haha!

Romans 8:1 (also through vs 8) Really spoke to me today.

-There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,[a] who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

I've been solidly holding fast to the Lord and He always rewards!

Thanks for reading!!!

Megs. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a nonreligious religious studies major at Belmont, and I really enjoy the way that religion is taught. I also disagree that classes have no Christian "spin" on them - some do, intentionally or not, even if minimally. I'm not religious because the religion department at Belmont has turned me off of religion or Christianity. I'm religious as a matter of personal choice, not a matter of teacher.

    ReplyDelete